1. Are there any set-up pages that tell what to do?
- Yes, there is an APRSWiki page with a section on getting started here and it includes numerous information links. There are also set-up pages for some of the software packages that support CWOP listed under item 1 here. The CWOP FAQ also has lots of information.
2. What server should I use if my packet ID is CWxxxx or DWxxxx or EWxxxx or FWxxxx?
- Use a server designator of "cwop.aprs.net" to send to servers (CWOP1, CWOP2, CWOP3, CWOP4) designated for CWOP non-ham use. These servers do not require a validation code or password.
3. What server should I use if my packet ID contains my amateur radio callsign?
- Use a server designator of "rotate.aprs.net" to send to the APRS Core servers (FIRST, SECOND, THIRD) or "rotate.aprs2.net" to send to the Tier 2 servers. Note that these servers require a validation code which currently licensed amateur radio operators can obtain from cwop-support at noaa dot gov.
4. What server should I use if my packet ID contains my NWS ID?
- The data packet that you send to APRS/CWOP should not contain your NWS ID. The ID (or first part of your packet) should fit under item #2 or item #3 above.
5. How can I check which servers I'm using?
- Use the CWOP Search Tool to see the last packet you have sent over each of the past 10 days. If you see "CWOP-1" or "CWOP-2" or "CWOP-3 or CWOP-4", you were using one or more of the CWOP servers. If you see "FIRST" or "CORE-2" or "THIRD", you were using one or more of the core servers. If you see "T2...", you are using one or more of the Tier 2 servers.
6. How do I tell which servers are up and working?
- Check here here or here. The links at the top of each column will give specific information on that server.
7. How often should I send a weather data packet?
- Every 5 minutes or LESS often, i.e. 6 minutes, 7 minutes,.....etc.
8. What port should I use?
- Use port 14580 first; but if that does not work, try port 23.
9. Can I trace my data packets through the system?
- A procedure for tracing your packet flow is given under item # 8 of CWOP FAQ.